Utilize the Power of a Former Prosecutor
Dublin Lawyers for False Accusations
Experienced Defense Against False Accusations & Allegations in Alameda County
Allegations that an assault or other crime has been committed are very serious. Law enforcement officials take action and begin investigating the accusations. Arrests may be made before an investigation is even complete. Unfortunately for the accused, in some cases, the allegations were falsely made and now they are suffering the consequences of something they did not do.
Can You Press Charges Against Someone For Making False Accusations?
Yes, it is possible to press charges against someone for making false accusations. This is known as defamation of character and can be pursued as a civil or criminal case. In a civil defamation case, the person making the false accusations can be sued for damages, such as lost wages or harm to reputation. In a criminal defamation case, the person can be charged and potentially face fines and imprisonment. It is important to note that the false accusations must have been made with malicious intent and caused harm to the individual in question. It is advisable to consult with a lawyer to understand your options and determine the best course of action.
Types of False Allegations
Contact us today by calling (925) 807-7077, 24 hours a day, to schedule a free consultation. Attorney John W. Noonan can review your situation and determine if false allegations have been lodged against you regarding a wide range of crimes, including:
What to Do When Someone Makes False Accusations Against You
If someone has made false criminal accusations against you, it can be a very stressful and overwhelming experience. Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself:
- Stay calm: It's natural to feel angry or upset, but try to remain calm and avoid lashing out at the accuser. Don't make any statements or take any actions that could be used against you.
- Gather evidence: Collect any evidence that could prove your innocence, such as witness statements, video footage, or receipts. If you have any text messages, emails or other documents that could support your case, make sure to keep them.
- Cooperate with the investigation: If the police or other authorities are investigating the accusations, be cooperative but don't admit to any wrongdoing. Stick to the facts and don't speculate or offer opinions.
- File a counterclaim: If the accusations were made with malicious intent, you may be able to file a counterclaim for defamation, false arrest, or other legal remedies. Speak to your attorney about the best course of action.
- Seek support: Being accused of a crime can be emotionally draining. Seek support from friends, family, or a therapist to help you cope with the stress and anxiety.
It's important to remember that false accusations can have serious consequences. By taking the steps above and working with an experienced attorney, you can protect your rights and work towards clearing your name.
Reasons for False Allegations
Individuals often file false claims of crimes being committed against them in order to gain leverage in a situation such as family law or another civil matter. Also, retaliation is often a motive. A girlfriend may want to get back at a boyfriend or an individual may want to take action against an acquaintance for something that person supposedly did to wrong the individual. Regardless of the basis of the claim, if it is false, it should not be pursued. Our firm helps clients preserve their rights and let justice be done.
False Allegations in Domestic Violence Cases
It is important to note that any kind of allegations of domestic violence may have a large impact on your life. You may be prevented from returning home, and a restraining order or protective order may be established, barring you from contacting the alleged victim. Unfortunately, many people use domestic violence accusations to gain the upper hand in family law cases, such as child custody. We can help you understand how these types of accusations may impact your ability to be in your home, be with your children and move forward with your life.
Start Your Defense Today
If you have been falsely accused of a crime, you should have an experienced Dublin lawyer for false accusations on your side who can stand up for your rights. At Law Office of John W. Noonan in Dublin, California, attorney John W. Noonan uses his over 55 years of criminal law experience when handling cases involving potentially false allegations. Our firm is dedicated to aggressively investigating the case and holding the individual responsible for the false complaint he or she made.
Contact a false allegations attorney at Law Office of John W. Noonan in Dublin today to further discuss how we can handle the false allegations lodged against you.