Best Lawyers Badge
The Best Lawyers in America Badge
California DUI Lawyers Association Badge
Best Law Firms 2014 Badge
10 Best Attorney Client Satisfaction Badge
Super Lawyers Badge
Accredited Business Badge

Union City

Legal Advocacy for People Charged with Crimes in Union City

Union City experiences more crime than 70 percent of the cities throughout the U.S. Residents of Union City face approximately a one in 300 chance of being a victim of a violent crime, such as rape or murder. The city also has a very high rate of property crimes, such as burglary, arson, and larceny, and it has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the country, with almost 400 cars stolen per year. If you live in Union City and are faced with criminal charges, it is in your best interest to retain a Union City criminal defense lawyer who will fight diligently to help you protect your liberties. Attorney John W. Noonan offers over 55 years of experience handling criminal matters in the California courts.

Getting a Police Report in Union City

If you wish to obtain a police report in Union City, you must complete a report request form and submit the form to the Police Department. Request forms can be submitted via email at, in person, or via mail at the Union City Police Department, Records Division, 34009 Alvarado-Niles Rd, Union City, CA 94587. The Records Division is open from Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. You should note that requests may take up to 10 days to process, and the release of certain records is prohibited by law.

Common Defenses to Criminal Charges

If you are charged with a crime, you technically do not need to offer any testimony or proof regarding your innocence. Instead, the burden is on the State to convince the judge or jury beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed each element of the crime with which you are charged. In many cases, the State will have persuasive evidence that the defendant committed the alleged offense. If the State has a strong case against you, however, a criminal defense attorney in Union City still may be able to argue that your actions were justified via an affirmative defense. The defenses that you can assert will depend on the unique facts of your case.

For example, if you are charged with assault or murder, and the State has evidence that you caused bodily harm to another person, you may be able to argue that your actions were taken in self-defense. To successfully prove that you were acting in self-defense, you must show that you held a reasonable belief that you faced an imminent threat of death, injury, or an unlawful touching, and you reasonably believed that you were compelled to use force to prevent your harm. You also must show that you used only the amount of force that was necessary.

Another defense that is available in many cases is consent. In other words, if you are charged with a crime that alleges an unlawful taking, such as theft of a motor vehicle, or unlawful touching, such as sexual assault, the State must prove that you did not have permission to undertake the acts that you allegedly committed. Therefore, if your Union City criminal defense attorney can make a compelling argument that the alleged victim of your crime in fact consented to your actions, the prosecution’s case may fail.

Discuss Your Case with a Capable Criminal Defense Attorney

Even if the State has strong evidence that a defendant has committed a crime, this does not mean that a conviction is unavoidable. If you have been charged with committing a crime in Union City, it is important to meet with a criminal defense attorney to discuss your case and the defenses that you may be able to assert to protect your rights. Attorney John W. Noonan is a trusted advocate for criminal defendants who can develop effective arguments to help you seek a successful legal outcome. Mr. Noonan’s offices are located in Dublin and Manteca, and he frequently represents people in criminal matters throughout the East Bay and across the Tri-Valley area. We can be reached at 925-479-0033 or via the form online to set up a meeting with a criminal defense lawyer in Union City to discuss your charges.