Utilize the Power of a Former Prosecutor
Dublin, CA Shoplifting Attorney
Experienced Defense Against Shoplifting Charges in California
Shoplifting is a common crime in the state of California, and it can have severe consequences for those who are convicted. If you or a loved one has been accused of shoplifting, it is essential to seek the assistance of our Dublin, CA, shoplifting attorney from the Law Office of John W. Noonan; we offer experienced legal representation to those facing shoplifting charges.
Call the Law Office of John W. Noonan today at (925) 807-7077 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our shoplifting lawyer in Dublin, CA.
What is Shoplifting?
Shoplifting refers to the act of unlawfully taking merchandise from a store or retail establishment with the intention of depriving the owner of their possession. It can involve various forms of theft, such as concealing items, altering price tags, switching containers, or simply walking out of the store without paying for the merchandise. Shoplifting is considered a property crime and falls under the broader category of theft offenses in California.
What are the Penalties for Shoplifting in California?
In the state of California, the penalties for shoplifting can vary based on the value of the stolen merchandise and the defendant's criminal history. Shoplifting could be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the specific circumstances. The potential consequences may include:
- Misdemeanor Shoplifting: Stolen merchandise valued at up to $950: This is generally charged as a misdemeanor, with penalties that may include fines of up to $1,000 and/or up to six months in county jail.
- Subsequent offenses: Penalties can increase for repeat offenders, including longer jail time and higher fines.
- Felony Shoplifting: Stolen merchandise valued at more than $950: This can lead to felony charges, which carry more severe penalties, which can include longer prison sentences and higher fines.
- Prior convictions: If the defendant has certain prior theft-related convictions, even shoplifting merchandise under $950 can lead to felony charges.
Remembering that a shoplifting conviction can have long-lasting consequences beyond the immediate penalties is crucial. It can impact your criminal record, employment opportunities, reputation, and more.
Defenses Against Shoplifting Charges
When facing shoplifting charges, it's essential to have a skilled attorney who can explore potential defenses to protect your rights and build a strong case on your behalf. Some defenses that our experienced shoplifting attorney in Dublin may consider include the following:
- Lack of Intent: Proving that you did not have the intent to permanently deprive the owner of the merchandise is a viable defense. This could involve demonstrating that the act was accidental or a misunderstanding.
- False Accusations: We will diligently investigate if you were wrongfully accused due to mistaken identity, unreliable witnesses, or biased store personnel.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If evidence was obtained through an unlawful search or seizure, it may be possible to have that evidence suppressed, weakening the prosecution's case.
- Entrapment: If you were coerced or forced by law enforcement or store personnel to commit the crime, entrapment may be a valid defense.
- Insufficient Evidence: Challenging the prosecution's evidence can lead to a reduced charge or even dismissal if they fail to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
Contact Our Shoplifting Lawyer in Dublin Today
When facing shoplifting charges in Dublin, CA, it's crucial to act swiftly and seek legal representation to protect your rights and deliver a solid defense strategy. At the Law Office of John W. Noonan, our skilled shoplifting lawyer is committed to providing personalized attention, sound legal advice, and unwavering advocacy throughout every step of your case. We will assess the details of your case, explain your legal options, and work tirelessly to protect your rights and obtain the best possible outcome. Your future matters, and we are here to fight for your rights and your future.
Contact the Law Office of John W. Noonan today to get started with our Dublin, CA, shoplifting lawyer.
At Law Office of John W. Noonan, our attorneys have the skills, experience, and tenacity you deserve. Get to know our team by scrolling down and select the staff you would like to learn more about.